DOVE RELEASE vs BUTTERFLY RELEASE
I am often asked if we offer butterfly releases, and we DO NOT recommend butteryfly releases for several reasons. Here are some things to consider when deciding between a dove release and a butterfly release for your wedding or other event.
1) Doves can be released year round; butterflies can only be released in sunny conditions at temperatures greater than 70 degrees. If it is raining or windy, butterflies should not be released.
2) When you release doves, you have a much better chance of getting spectacular photographs. Butterflies are very small and can easily be missed in photos.
3) Every dove that is released will be alive! The standard guarantee for butterflies is 85% to be alive. So-if you’re planning to release 100 butterflies, up to 15 could arrive dead. If you and your guests don’t handle them properly, that number could skyrocket. We have heard numerous stories of people opening the butterfly envelope and having a dead insect.
4) Your doves will FLY! Many butterflies land on guests or on the ground and may end up getting stepped on. While this can be fun, consider what will happen to the butterflies. Will they just die shortly or do they have a chance of surviving.
5) There are some real concerns about releasing butterfies into the wild, and some states have restrictions. You should do some research to see what your state and location allows. Doves all return home, and are the most ecological friendly choice to celebrate your happiness.